TODO: Use this site to find project supervisors for your masters projects.
Applied Machine Learning
I supervise projects in two distinct areas.
- Data Science for HealthCare Our research is at the intersection of:
- wearable computing (eg activity loggers)
- data science, analytics, predictive modelling
- healthcare datasets and applications
and there are possibilities to collaborate with clinical researchers in Newcastle and beyond. For instance, we are interested in discovering digital biomarkers that can contribute to predicting progression of preventable metabolic diseases such as diabetes. please see here: https://www.turing.ac.uk/research/research-projects/digital-biomarkers-preventive-personalised-healthcare
- Ensuring fairness of algorithmic decision-making I am interested in the study of the fairness properties associated with machine learning models, and specifically in how we can predict fairness of a model by inspecting the complex data preparation and pre-processing pipelines that precede model training. This is a hot area in ML and AI, see for instance the "FAT-*" conference: https://fatconference.org/2020/ We have preliminary results that we are writing up in a paper, which have a great potential for extension and need further research.
Technologies & Programming Languages
I am comfortable supervising projects that make use of the following technologies and programming languages.